Saturday, December 02, 2006

Classical Music on the Web

I don’t know if you ever listen to classical music on your computer, or not. Even though the fidelity is limited by the (cheap) speakers on my machine, I used to open Windows Media Player, click on the radio tab, and select from the 10 classical music links that were offered by MSN. Usually, I chose “Mostly Classical,” which is offered by sky.fm. This gave me an alternative to cranking up the big stereo and listening to the local stations.

When I went to do that today, the Windows Media Player radio tab popped up an offer for a free trial of Napster, eventually, leading, they hope, to a paid subscription. The list of MSN stations is apparently no longer available. I guess Microsoft thinks that I want to pay for my radio music.

At first, I googled and accessed the sky.fm site, and found Mostly Classical, which opens just fine in Media Player. Problem solved.

Then, I did some more searching and found the following page, which attempts to list and link to ALL of the classical music stations that are available on the web: http://www.classicalwebcast.com/usa.htm. Now I have an even wider choice than MSN used to offer.

For those of you who listen on your computers, I am also putting the link in my side bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Digital memory is something that I seemingly will never have enough of. It feels like megabytes and gigabytes have become a permanent part of my day to day existence. Ever since I bought a Micro SD Card for my DS flash card, I've been on permanent watch like a prison guard for high memory at cheap prices. I feel like I'm going insane.

(Submitted from BlogServ for R4i Nintendo DS.)