Sunday, October 22, 2006

It's All About Price

One more comment about Tower Records (I had to change the title of my earlier post today).

I searched all blogs for items on Tower Records, and came up with over 66,000 entries. I did not read them all, of course. But the few that I read quickly pointed out the simple truth. It goes like this:
  • (1) Many folks lament the loss of a retail store with depth and variety of stock. But they can still find depth and variety on the internet.
  • (2) Some miss the social interactions in the local record shop. But people will find other places to interact.
  • (3) NOBODY WANTS TO PAY FULL RETAIL PRICE FOR A CD, especially if they have to buy gasoline for a 20-mile round trip to do it. Most of us who started patronizing Tower years ago remember the discounted pricing that has virtually vanished in recent years. Now, if you find the $18.99 CD at Amazon.com, you may be able to get it for $6.99 plus shipping.

When I am searching for a very obscure item, I may be prepared to pay full price for it. But before I do, you can bet I check Amazon and eBay to see if I can get it at a discounted price. So, along with you other cheapskates out there, I have probably contributed to the demise of Tower. But we may still ask why Tower could no longer find ways to discount their products the way that other stores do.

'nuff said.

No comments: