Monday, October 16, 2006

A Strange Day


Nothing happened the way I planned it today. I got up, had breakfast, made the bed, and took Bogie and Lucy for a walk [that's Lucy on the left, Bogie on the right]. So far, so good.

Then I booted the computer to read my email.

First, the Norton Antivirus did not seem to boot correctly. The icon for on-line monitoring did not appear. A call to Norton support revealed that a file was probably corrupted, or inadvertantly deleted. I would have to uninstall Norton and re-install it. That would have been the second time this year. I really have not been happy with Norton. It puts files and logs all over my computer in strange places. And it runs sooooo slowly. So I uninstalled the Norton. But instead of re-installing it, I took Leo LaPorte's advice and downloaded Eset's NOD32 Antivirus. It's a more compact program and it runs faster. My first in-depth scan revealed about 20 infected files that Norton had not found. It's running now, and so far I am pleased. You windows users out there may want to get up the courage to make the change.

Then I went to check my email, and I could not connect to my cable internet provider to receive mail. A call to their support number revealed that they are having server problems in my area. Even their web home page would not come up in a reasonable time. So I am without email today.

Fortunately, my browser is able to connect with other web sites just fine, so here I am, blogging away.

Of course the swivel chair in my office is broken. A couple of the casters broke, and they are a weird type that screws in, so the hardware replacements won't work. I went to a used office furniture store today and found a replacement. It has a wood base and wood arms, and is well-cushioned. Only $40.00, it seems sturdily built; and it's very comfortable.

Things took a better turn when Bonnie got home from work. We went to our favorite Japanese restaurant for dinner. Bonnie got filet mignon and I got scallops--dee-licious!

Well, the email still doesn't work, so I'm going to join Bonnie and watch some television.

No comments: